ALL ABOUT BEARS…
This week I welcome multi-published author, Amanda Young, as Guest Blogger!
One of my favorite things about writing M/M romance is the ability to write outside the box. The characters don’t have to beÂ the typicalÂ alpha male found in other genres.Â
In my opinion, theÂ idea of physical beauty in this day and age is a little skewed. Instead of smooth, flawless skinÂ and gym-toned bodies, I’ve always been drawn to a different sort of man. The kind of man who’s built like a brick sh*thouse and covered in hair.Â That’s rightâ€”Bears. There’s nothing sexier to me than a hairy chest and a solid masculine body. Michael Angelo’s David be damned, I want to explore the allure of brawny men who can bench-press their own weight plus that of their partner.
For my next series,Â I’m planning to focus on big strapping men with even biggerÂ hearts. There will be Bears, and Otters, and Wolvesâ€”oh my. For those of you who donâ€™t know the terminology, I thought I would share some definitions (as I understand them) with you.
- Admirer – a term that refers to someone who is sexually or romantically attracted to Bears (this term is often used in various communities to describe an outsider who has sexual attraction to people within that community). Also often referred to as a Chaser. Admirers/Chasers can be of any weight, hairy or hairless and any age.
- Bear – a hairy man with a stocky or heavyset build and facial hair. Can be clean shaven and of any age.
- Bear run – a gathering or circuit party for Bear/Cub types and their Admirers.
- Cub – a younger (or younger looking) version of a Bear, typically but not always with a smaller frame. The term is sometimes used to imply the passive partner in a relationship. Can be hairy or hairless.
- Gobi – A male, often heterosexual, who is often in the company of bears. Likened to a Goldilocks.
- Daddy bear – is an older guy sometimes looking for a daddy/son relationship with either a younger Bear, Cub, Otter, Wolf or Chaser.
- Goldilocks – A female, often heterosexual, who is often in the company of bears (a bear’s fag hag).
- Leatherbear – A bear with a leather fetish.
- Muscle bear – a muscular version of a Bear. A muscle cub is a younger or smaller, yet muscular, version. Can be hairy or hairless and of any age.
- Otter – a man who is hairy, but is not large or stocky – typically thinner, or with lean muscle. Slimmer version of a Bear with little pockets of fat like love handles or a tiny gut, but not as lean as a Wolf.
- Panda bear – a bear of Asian ethnicity. A panda cub is younger version. Usually hairless.
- Pocket bear – A short Bear.
- Polar bear – a silver- or white-haired Bear.
- Wolf – A lean, masculine gay man who is attracted to bears and involved in the bear scene.
- Woof – A greeting often used when a Bear spots another Bear in public and wants to express physical attraction. He might make a growling noise (“Grrr!”) or say “Woof!”
What would you, the reader, like to see more of in erotic M/M romance?Â Maybe more overweight characters, or “Average Joe” type heroes. How aboutÂ little known fetishes, like sploshing or water sports?Â For every kink you can dream up, there’s someone out there who’s interested. Iâ€™d love to hear what readers would like to see more of.
Amanda Young writes in multiple subgenres, including M/F, M/M, and paranormal romance. The only thing she guarantees is hot ride and a happy ending. To learn more about Amandaâ€™s books, please visit her website: www.AmandaYoung.org
Tags: amanda young, bears, erotic romance, erotica, gay erotica, gay love, gay romance, loose id, m/m, male/male, MEN, missing, missing in action, precious ache, reckless, romance, secrets and lies, shameful